Did you know? University jobs open doors of opportunity to network with campus administrators and staff.
So, if you have been looking for a way to take your career to the next level, then consider applying to on-campus jobs, especially these Wits vacancies.
There are a variety of jobs available at the University of the Witwatersrand, including researcher, project manager, lecturer, and more!
In addition to these positions, you can also find other on-campus jobs, which are similar to paid internships that can be a boost to your resume if you are still in college.
Let’s dive into it now.
Table of Contents
What is Wits University?
The University of the Witwatersrand is a South African multicampus public research university located in the north-central region of Johannesburg. In fact, the university is better known as Wits University.
Wits University has its roots in the mining industry as well as Johannesburg and Witwatersrand. Founded in 1896 as the South African School of Mines in the Kimberley, the Witwatersrand is the third oldest university still operating in South Africa after the University of Cape Town and Stellenbosch University.
As of 2010, the university had 27,934 students, of which more than 4,500 live in 18 campus dormitories. In the same year, 67.7% of the students took undergraduate studies, while the remaining 32.3% were postgraduate students.
Amazingly, some of apartheid’s most provocative critics, whether they were of European or African descent, had been students and graduates of Wits University such as Aaron Klug and Nelson Mandela.
Reasons to Work for Wits University
- Good diversity and inclusion
- Supportive team
- Productive working environment
- Bursaries and training programmes
- Free medical aid
- Good work-life balance
- Decent pay
- Flexible working hours
Job Opportunities Available in Wits Vacancies
Ready to submit your application? Not so fast! First, check out these examples of the types of jobs available in Wits vacancies.
Wits University is looking to hire a dependable researcher to work on various institution projects.
As a researcher, you’ll be responsible for aligning methodology with study goals, acquiring information and interpreting data using a variety of tools, detecting trends and patterns, and more.
To be considered for this position, you must be able to give presentations and communicate well at all levels.
Furthermore, to be a successful candidate, you must be resourceful, have outstanding time management skills, and be patient.
Generally, outstanding candidates are individuals that are enthusiastic about their subjects and can work under pressure.
- Computer proficiency
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail and exceptional communication skills
- Strong statistical and mathematical aptitude
- A postgraduate degree in the research field
- Two or more years of teaching experience
- Proven knowledge of data collection methods
- Knowledge of project management
- Proficiency in data analysis tools and statistical applications
The job of a university professor is varied, from planning and presenting captivating lectures in their specialized fields to answering inquiries and spending endless hours putting together projects.
Preparing and delivering lectures to students, performing additional research into your unique field of knowledge, and attending departmental and faculty meetings with other staff members will be among your daily responsibilities.
You’ll also be in charge of serving on course/degree committees, curriculum revision, and academic planning.
Strong interpersonal communication skills are obviously the first crucial trait to successfully performing a function as a professor, especially given that lecturers spend so much of their time in front of students on a daily basis.
- Critical thinking skills
- Excellent listening skills
- Great interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving skills
- A postgraduate degree in your field of study
- Previous teaching experience
3. Finance Administrator
The university’s financial and accounting operations are managed by financial administrators. They plan for the future, supervise financial activities, and generate financial reports.
As a member of the finance department, you’ll help with financial planning, financial reporting, and financial administration best practices.
To be successful as a financial administrator, you need to have a strong understanding of accounting principles and previous experience in a similar position. A top-tier financial administrator will be able to transfer his/her knowledge into improved financial procedures and adherence to industry rules.
If these seem to be your alley, then we highly recommend you to apply to these Wits vacancies.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Great organisational and time management abilities
- Collaboration and communication skills
- A bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, or a similar field
- Previous working experience as a financial administrator
- Advanced proficiency in accounting software
- In-depth knowledge of financial controls and accounting standards
4. Counselling Psychologist
Psychologists that specialize in treating patients with emotional crises, stress, anxiety, and behavioural disorders are known as counselling psychologists.
Their main duties include providing patient consultations and performing a tailored psychological treatment.
As a counselling psychologist, you’ll apply psychological theory and research to therapeutic work with clients who are dealing with a variety of tough life difficulties and/or mental health issues. Students and employees are examples of clients.
You’ll work with the client in a holistic and insightful way to help them think about change and take charge of their recovery.
- Empathy and sensitivity
- Good diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- A four-year bachelor of psychology professional degree approved by the HPCSA
- Proven experience in the related field
5. Project Manager
A project manager oversees a company’s various initiatives or projects, monitors their development and completion, and ensures that they satisfy the clients’ expectations.
Although a project manager is rarely required to perform the hands-on work associated with a project, he or she must have some understanding of the many parts of the project.
Wits University is looking for a project manager to oversee the institution’s ongoing projects in this capacity.
You’ll collaborate closely with your coworkers to make sure that all project requirements, deadlines, and timelines are met.
Sounds interesting? Wait no longer to apply to these Wits vacancies, then.
- Strong leadership skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- Problem-solving and organisational skills
- Time management skills
- A bachelor degree in a related field
- Experience as a project manager
- Proven experience in project management
How to Apply to Wits Vacancies
Apparently, it’s pretty simple to apply to any positions posted in Wits vacancies. Follow these instructions to help you get ahead with your application:
- Visit Wits University’s Vacancies webpage to check out the active job openings.
- Click on the advertised job to be redirected to the online recruiting system.
- Log in to your account to apply. Otherwise, you must create your profile before you can apply for your desired career.
- Submit your application and other related requirements as mentioned in the ad.
- Done! You’re good to go.
Have any questions or technical issues during applying? Send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over to you. Which of any jobs mentioned above in our list of Wits vacancies attract your attention?
Is it a position as a project manager? Or, are you up to partake in a new challenge and become Wits University’s next prominent researcher?
Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.