Working in education is an intriguing job in nature, with two days rarely being the same. You will have the ability to liven it up as you meet new students at new schools too. Are you looking for an opportunity to be a part of this industry? Applying to these DBE education assistant vacancies below might be an ideal decision for you.
The Department of Primary Education opens opportunities for thousands of South African youth to participate in the recruitment of its initiatives. This recruitment is part of the government’s plan to restore the country’s economy due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have the right qualifications for any of the positions on offer, then you should not miss this valuable opportunity. Keep on reading to learn more about what it takes to become a DBE education assistant. We have rounded up information about these DBE education assistant vacancies from reliable sources.
Table of Contents
About DBE Education Assistant
South Africa’s Ministry of Primary Education has provided opportunities for approximately 287,000 unemployed youths to serve the country as educational assistants. To become a qualified DBE education assistant, all candidates will first undergo training in the education sector.
This initiative is one of DBE’s efforts to address the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic that has devastated the South African economy. Also, candidates will later be part as a participant in the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative (PYEI)-Basic Education Employment Initiative (BEEI), which forms part of the Presidential Employment Stimulus (PES).
In training, all selected candidates will acquire various skills to enhance their employability for future opportunities. DBE will place them in various educational centres across the country in different positions upon completing the training. They will be appointed as educational assistants at designated places for five months, from November 1 to March 31.
Educational assistants, also called teaching assistants, generally work with teachers and students together. These professionals assist teachers in the delivery of instruction and provide learning support for students. These supports include directly assisting students with specific needs or helping them with learning difficulties.
DBE Education Assistant Vacancies Available Positions
Based on DBE’s announcements, the department will place all successful candidates in schools for the following positions:
- Curriculum Staffs (Education Assistant): Curriculum staffs support teachers in developing and improving learning materials.
- ICT/e-Cadres Trainers (Education Assistant): ICT or e-Cadres trainers provide training for youth in academic and entrepreneurial fields to help them acquire employable skills. Young people interested in applying to this position must be computer-savvy and enjoy working on IT systems. e-Cadres will add value to classrooms by assisting teachers and learners with troubleshooting on ICT tools and uploading educational content on teacher and learner devices.
- Reading Champions (Education Assistant): The reading champions develop various illustrative learning and teaching materials for learners to use.
- Child & Youth Care Workers (General School Assistant): Child and youth care workers provide professional training and infrastructure to support the healthy development of children and youth. They also work to raise the standard of protection, care and treatment for children from vulnerable and at-risk families or communities.
- Handymen (General School Assistant): Handymen work on tasks that involve trade skills, such as the repair and maintenance of the interior and exterior of schools.
- Sports and Enrichment Agents (General School Assistant): Sports and enrichment agents organize activities that promote healthy lifestyles for all learners.
DBE Education Assistant Qualification
Who is eligible to apply for this enriching opportunity? To qualify as an educational assistant, all candidates must:
- Not currently receiving any form of assistance from the government;
- Be a youth between the ages of 18 to 35; and
- Not currently in education or training.
The Department of Basic Education also invites people with disabilities and women to apply for vacant positions. In addition, DBE requires all applicants to have passed matric English. However, possession of an NQF Level 4, 6 or 7 qualification certificate will be preferred.
Applicants should note that they do not have to present a matric certificate to apply as an infrastructure supporter and sports and enrichment agent for placement as a public school assistant. Nonetheless, ownership of trade certificates would be advantageous.
Additionally, applicants must possess creativity and enthusiasm to work successfully in education. It is also advisable that they remain calm and patient in dealing with learners picking up things at different paces.
Furthermore, a big part of working on education is communicating information. It may be verbal, written, or by other routes from practical demonstrations to artistic interpretation. Therefore, applicants must have good communication skills so that their points can get across. Also, they must be able to position themselves as good listeners.
DBE Education Assistant Requirements
Candidates will need to prepare the following documents before applying for their desired roles:
- Recent Curriculum Vitae (CV);
- Testimonies provided by previous schools, local chiefs, church leaders, or other reliable sources;
- Police clearance certificates;
- Declaration or affidavit by applicants stating that they have no criminal record awaiting police clearance;
- Certified qualifications, such as Matric, NQF Levels 4, 6, and 7; and
- A certified copy of passport or ID.
Applicants must be able to provide these documents once they are declared shortlisted candidates.
DBE Education Assistant Vacancies Application
To apply for any positions in these DBE education assistant vacancies, interested candidates must visit sayouth.mobi to create a profile and submit their applications. No walk-in submission is allowed due to COVID-19 restrictions. In other words, applicants must submit their applications online.
Suppose you need help submitting your application on sayouth.mobi, then you should read our guide on that here.
DBE Education Assistant Timeline
These DBE education assistant vacancies are open between 27 September and 3 October.
DBE has placed a strong emphasis on trainees aiming to increase their skill set while also setting them up for increased employability prospects in the previous phase. Meanwhile, in the upcoming second phase, selected youths will attend IT, education, and psychology training.